Monday, January 7, 2008

Lightspeed: the sequel.

I can't believe it's almost 2 weeks since my last post. A lot has changed for me since Boxing Day. For good or bad... I don't know but I prefer to look at the bright side.

Before I continue, I'd like to thank Jo-N and Suzette for visiting despite my lack of posts in the weeks before Xmas. [A deep bow and thank you for both of you]

Changes:-
  • Translation - I've stopped. Hubby didn't approve of my staying up late to catch up on the work to meet the deadlines. The work is not as leisurely as I thought. I managed to do a few shows in December cos it was the holidays. They offered me the position of Editor. Hubby and I even travelled to the other side of town (and got lost along the way!) to meet the owner of the company. Although I can work out of home, the offer was not very attractive financially compared to my opportunity costs. Now that my eldest has started Primary One, the opportunity costs are too high, I don't want to afford it.
  • New year - Hubby and I are very practical minded people (probably that's why we're accountants by training!). To him, it's just another date on the calendar. For people dealing the financial side of companies, it most likely signifies closure of the old financial year aka more work. Not much fun, that. Also with 3 small kids in tow, we can't join in the countdowns anywhere except in our living room in front of the TV. Not much fun, too.
  • First day of school - This means more to my family than the first day of the year. Reason: my work starts. With Heng in the morning session of school, I have to wake up at 5.30am! (This is also why translation doesn't fit in as I usually worked on that until 2 am.) It is a full day with breaks in late morning (when the boys are in school) and afternoon (when all 3 kids take their naps). Bedtime is around 10pm if I were to have enough shut eye before the alarm rings. It's a full time job.
  • New phone - I'm really grateful to my hubby for this one. My Nokia "Butterfly" is close to 5 years old. Casing was damaged but since I'm used to it and all my contacts inside, I don't see the point of keeping up with the trend. It was functioning until some hiccups lately. So, hubby took the chance to upgrade it to a Nokia 6300. I fell in love with it at first sight. It was what hubby had in mind as well though he didn't tell me at the time. It's sleek and fits nicely into my palm. Kids love the new games, too.

When things settle down, I'll have for time for blogging :)

3 comments:

JK said...

Settle your things first. Blogging should be fun and not stressful. All the best to you.

Suzette said...

Silvery, glad that you see the point. I know how stressful it can be, when taking on translating jobs - remember I was still translating on the CNY eve, when my dad was mad at me? Some more, I didn't get paid for that, it was part of my previous agency job.

Settle down first, and then come back to blog? It should be a channel for relaxing and fun... :)

Silvery said...

Jo-N & Suzette,
For fun, no pressure. Thanks for the advice :)