Thursday, July 14, 2016

Tiramisu: The Preferred Cake For Today's Birthday

A whole cake or just a slice? That was the question asked of the birthday boy. A whole cake was what he wanted; but we can't finish it, came my protest. We can eat it tomorrow, he replied with a hopeful grin. In the end, Hubby opted for two slices: one for the birthday boy, one for himself and me (he knew how I liked tiramisu, and the tiramisu of this place was one of a kind...yum yum 😋).

It is Heng's birthday today. Nothing fancy, just dinner at the place of his choice. Hubby and I prefer not to over indulge our kids on anything, even birthdays. It's his fifteenth. I remember my fifteenth as the last one celebrated without Hubby wishing me 'Happy Birthday'.

We met each other about a month before his sweet sixteen. By the time, my sweet sixteen came around, he had cared for me enough to call me before midnight on the eve, talked until midnight and wished me 'Happy Birthday' when the clock struck twelve. Although I hadn't fallen in love with him at that time, I suspected now that he already had feelings for me. I honestly feel that I'm truly blessed at finding my soulmate so early in life and sharing our lives since leaving childhood.

Well, enough about me. Hubby and I shared a steak, Jien and Yan had a spaghetti each, while Li had garlic bread with mushroom soup. The kids all had western stomach 😁.

On the way home, I asked Heng to count 5 good things in his life.
No. 1: UNIS;
No. 2: His UPSR results, crediting Ms O and Teacher E for his success;
No. 3: Living in XXX, it's a good thing because it's not noisy, relatively safe to cycle and near to a clubhouse;
No. 4: Reasonably good eyesight (power around 150) despite all the books he had read (I'm thankful that he is a verocious reader who 'devour' his book); and
No. 5: he's still thinking about this. [Update: Later he counted frequent eating out as a good thing. So you think my cooking is no good? I teased. Not all the time, he admitted, your western cooking like spaghetti and chicken chop is good but not the Chinese style cooking. That's cos you like western food, I countered a little defensively. I was actually glad that he was brave enough to speak his mind 👍🏼]

He had answered UNIS without hesitation. This showed how much of an impact it had on him. While I'm glad he had such and unforgettable experience, I hope it will not present too high a standard for him to compare other areas of his life to.

All said, I'm proud of Heng. Happy birthday, my boy 😘

No comments: